Skip to main content

Fishers of Men

Luke 5:10 Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men."

Jesus had several fishermen among His disciples.  As a fisherman, one is very aware of the best time of day to catch fish, the bait needed and the perfect places to throw out your line.  I believe there are similar pieces of knowledge needed when being a fisher of men.  One must listen to God to know the best time to begin that conversation about Jesus.  One must pay attention to the prompting of God within the conversation to speak His words to those in need.  One must be aware of where there is the greatest need for Jesus and go there.  That's where he himself went…to the "sick".  As I journey through Advent, my prayer is that I may be a fisher of men to make Christmas about Jesus for someone.  Believe and bring hope!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed Assurance

Romans 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth , nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. This verse just makes me want to shout, "AMEN!"  But isn't it frustrating how Satan knows exactly where to hit us to make us doubt?  And then he is so good at kicking us while we are down.  I, unfortunately, had this experience very recently.  I was feeling a little worried about a particular situation and then Satan pounced and made me feel like an enormous loser.  He was feeding me lies that he knew I would believe, because they are the same lies I always fall for.  Thankfully, I was able to spend some time with God in quiet solitude.  I was reminded that no matter what Satan throws at me, I will never be separated from the love of God because I have Christ Jesus...

For Mom

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. This is a post for Mom.  She is the embodiment of these words written by Paul.  When I think of Mom and who God created her to be, this is it.  Each of these phrases describes her perfectly.  Mom learned very early on in her walk with Jesus to let Him have His way in her life.  Who she is and has been to people is the testament to that.  Her patience with a super naughty 2-year old, namely me, rivaled that of Job.  I don't ever remember her getting angry.  Quite frankly, Mom and the word angry in the same sentence is laughable.  She never bragged or boasted about us (even though we know she's proud of us) because that wouldn't be showing love to her listener.  Mom was never rude, she was always serving others, and she was never jud...

Do Not Give Up

Galatians 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. This is the verse I have needed at the start of this school year.  I have been literally tired from my job.  I do not like that when people ask me how I'm doing or how my job is going, my response is I love it, but it's tiring.  This has been a journey these three years.  I have learned so many job related things, but more importantly, God has changed my heart and taught me some Spirit related nuggets as well.  This verse is one of them.  Sometimes we grow weary as we fight the battle.  This verse reminds us that there is a harvest coming if we will only 'keep on keepin' on'.  I have prayed many times for God's strength to come to me and carry me through.  This has been a tiresome battle, but there are so many good things that I have already reaped.  This verse is my reminder to hang in there.  God is on the mov...