Skip to main content

Glimpse of Heaven

Deuteronomy 6:5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

I'm looking at each of these separately today.  "With all your heart"  In a world where I am continually pulled in all directions and I am busy with the hustle and bustle of daily life, I think I can get caught up very quickly and not use my whole heart for loving God.  I maybe justify that by saying that those things I am loving have been given to me by God and so, therefore, I view it as an extension of loving God.  I guess there would be some truth to that, but my barometer for whether or not I am loving the gift or loving God is how tightly I am holding onto that gift.  If I have a death grip on the gift from God, my love is not an extension of my love for God.  It is me giving a part of my heart to love, rather than being an outpouring of the love of God in me.  "With all your soul" maybe seems a little easier to do because I see my soul as the eternal God-connecting piece.  It's easy to love God with all of the part of me that He has complete control over anyway.  "With all your strength" is a little more difficult to grasp.  For me it is surrendering all I can do, the skills I have and the talents I've been given, in order that God may be the strength in my life, not just the source, but the actual strength that is in me.  It is a journey to love God with all of our being.  But ah, what beauty to behold in the moments when we love God with all of our heart, soul, and strength and we get a glimpse of heaven!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed Assurance

Romans 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth , nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. This verse just makes me want to shout, "AMEN!"  But isn't it frustrating how Satan knows exactly where to hit us to make us doubt?  And then he is so good at kicking us while we are down.  I, unfortunately, had this experience very recently.  I was feeling a little worried about a particular situation and then Satan pounced and made me feel like an enormous loser.  He was feeding me lies that he knew I would believe, because they are the same lies I always fall for.  Thankfully, I was able to spend some time with God in quiet solitude.  I was reminded that no matter what Satan throws at me, I will never be separated from the love of God because I have Christ Jesus...

For Mom

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. This is a post for Mom.  She is the embodiment of these words written by Paul.  When I think of Mom and who God created her to be, this is it.  Each of these phrases describes her perfectly.  Mom learned very early on in her walk with Jesus to let Him have His way in her life.  Who she is and has been to people is the testament to that.  Her patience with a super naughty 2-year old, namely me, rivaled that of Job.  I don't ever remember her getting angry.  Quite frankly, Mom and the word angry in the same sentence is laughable.  She never bragged or boasted about us (even though we know she's proud of us) because that wouldn't be showing love to her listener.  Mom was never rude, she was always serving others, and she was never jud...

Thank You

My year is complete.  I will not be posting any new Daily Devotionals.  However, I may post some updates on what is coming next for me as a writing project.  I will leave the site up for you if, you're just starting or just wanting to reread.  I am grateful to all of you who have read and journeyed with me this year.  God has been good in the midst of trial and joy.  I pray the best for you in 2015.  Thank you for reading!